Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Unlikely Sources of Inspiration

If you had asked me 3 years ago what my plans for a Sunday were, I would have responded with cooking, cleaning, making jewelry or reading. I never expected to be able to answer that question with "going to the junkyard." And never would I have expected to be excited about the opportunity, but now is a different story.


Shortly after I started making jewelry out of wire, I discovered (with the encouragement of my creative mother) that working with items from hardware/home improvement stores were cheaper and made awesome jewelry. So when I married a gearhead I had to start making the occasional trips to the junkyard. What a wealth of inspiration and materials! Now when we go, I make sure I have plenty of pockets and I spend my time there staring at the ground. Washers make great pendants and are very versatile. They can be decoupaged, painted, stacked, etc. The possibilities are endless. The rounded washers can even be spray painted with the hammered metal paint and designs can be drawn on them to make them look like the pendants you pay $3-$5 for at craft stores. Lug nuts aren't quite as versatile, but are just as nice as pendants. Occasionally you can also find keys, castle nuts, and other unexpected pieces that will work as pendants, however it can be difficult to find items light enough for earrings or bracelets, but you truly never know what you'll find.

No comments:

Post a Comment